Media Contour is a multi-disciplined design studio that works and writes about issues, trends and strategies that affect businesses and the design industry. Our goal is to deliver cutting edge, usable information that will ultimately add to your online success.
Published on June 29th, 2012 by Peter
SilverStripe CMS and Framework 3 has been made available today to the joy of web designers everywhere. The update provides new features that make the program even more user friendly for content authors. “I’m really excited about getting our hands on SilverStripe 3’s new framework and learning how it will help us add advanced functionality to our client’s sites,” says Luke Swenson at Media Contour.
SilverStripe is an award winning open source web content management system (CMS) used by a variety of organizations around the world and is an essential tool for professional web development teams. It is easy for both developers and content authors alike to use.
Amongst its already mighty base of functions, Silverstripe 3 includes a few more new features to make your life easier. Lets look at some of the new features:
- The framework keeps the code separated but easily accessible for programmers without getting in the way of the author’s content.
- Site editors have all the control for how their content looks without needing to know HTML. “If you can use a word processor, you can use SilverStripe CMS,” states the SilverStripe website.
- A simple drag and drop interface makes for easy addition of images and files. “The new UI is probably the most exciting feature that our clients will notice,” says Luke Swenson, “the clean design makes everything easier to use and also offers a better drag and drop experience. This will help make our client’s photos and other media easier to integrate than ever before.”
- Web developers can customize the interface to suit how you work as an author and as a business; pages and templates are fully customizable.
- Themes and widgets enhance the experience for making your website the best it can be.
Aside from easy customization and usability, the framework provides several support tools including security models, workflow, caching, multiple language and subsite support. The CMS offers multiple page templates which gives designers the ability to provide different looks for the needs based on clientele.
SilverStripe is also search engine optimization (SEO) friendly. SilverStripe CMS still lets content authors add and edit metadata such as page keywords, descriptions and image ALT and TITLE attributes. These features can help move your website to the top of the search engine rankings.
Suffice it to say, The new SilverStripe program is exciting for us as developers but for our clients it means a lot more. This program will give our clients the best content managing system without any hassle.
Have you begun using the new Silverstripe 3 CMS? If so, what are your thoughts?